WB polls: TMC complains against Sourav Ganguly
Kolkata: The Election Commission`s decision
selecting former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly for an
audio-visual promo for West Bengal assembly elections has
run into trouble with Trinamool Congress complaining that he
was politically affiliated to ruling CPI(M).
"We had taken a verbal assurance from Sourav Ganguly
that he won`t campaign for any political party before
selecting him as an icon of the commission," Additional Chief
Electoral Officer N K Sahana said today.
Ganguly and percussionist Bikram Ghosh were selected by
the Election Commission which produced the audio-visual for
telecast on major channels to create interest among the people
The controversy arose when Urban Development Minister
Ashok Bhattacharya, belonging to CPI(M), claimed Ganguly would
campaign for him in the elections.
"Trinamool Congress gave a CD where the Minister`s and
Ganguly`s versions are recorded," Sahana said.
"We have gone through it and the decision regarding the
issue will be taken tomorrow," he said.
"If he agrees to campaign for any political party, then
we will have to withdraw the promo. We cannot stop him from
expressing his political opinion publicly," Sahana said when
asked whether Ganguly could campaign for a political party.
Trinamool Congress said in its complaint that it would be
against election ethics for Ganguly to be the icon of the EC
when he was politically affiliated to CPI(M).
The former Indian captain was not available for comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video