WB polls: TMC complains against Sourav Ganguly
Kolkata: The Election Commission`s decision
selecting former India cricket captain Sourav Ganguly for an
audio-visual promo for West Bengal assembly elections has
run into trouble with Trinamool Congress complaining that he
was politically affiliated to ruling CPI(M).
"We had taken a verbal assurance from Sourav Ganguly
that he won`t campaign for any political party before
selecting him as an icon of the commission," Additional Chief
Electoral Officer N K Sahana said today.
Ganguly and percussionist Bikram Ghosh were selected by
the Election Commission which produced the audio-visual for
telecast on major channels to create interest among the people
The controversy arose when Urban Development Minister
Ashok Bhattacharya, belonging to CPI(M), claimed Ganguly would
campaign for him in the elections.
"Trinamool Congress gave a CD where the Minister`s and
Ganguly`s versions are recorded," Sahana said.
"We have gone through it and the decision regarding the
issue will be taken tomorrow," he said.
"If he agrees to campaign for any political party, then
we will have to withdraw the promo. We cannot stop him from
expressing his political opinion publicly," Sahana said when
asked whether Ganguly could campaign for a political party.
Trinamool Congress said in its complaint that it would be
against election ethics for Ganguly to be the icon of the EC
when he was politically affiliated to CPI(M).
The former Indian captain was not available for comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read