WB: Poor rickshaw-puller hands over Rs 50,000 to cops
Krishnagar: Elderly rickshaw puller
Monoranjan Mohanta of Nabadwip in Nadia district does not have a house of his own to live in, yet he handed over Rs 50,000 he found on a roadside to the police for return to the owner.
Sixty-two-year-old Mohanta stays in his father-in-law`s
house with his wife and daughter, barely able to make both
ends meet with his meager income, let alone build a house.
Last Wednesday while plying his van-rickshaw on
Nabadwip`s Sribash Angan Road, Mohanta spotted in the darkness
a bundle of crisp 500 rupee notes close to the Nabadwip police
"He rushed to the police station to deposit the money.
There was Rs 50,000 in the bundle. We got astonished at the
honesty of the poor van-rickshaw puller," a police officer,
who received the money, said.
Arindam Roy Chowdhury, posted at the Nabadwip police
station, said that nobody had yet claimed the money. "If
nobody comes to claim the money and proves it belongs to him,
it will be deposited with the government," he said.
Mohanta, when approached by reporters, said, "I know how
hard it is to earn money and the person who lost it must have
earned it through much toil."
Mohanta broke into tears when media persons asked him how
he felt. "Poverty never destroys honesty and humanity," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender