WB ragging case: Police forced principal to resign, alleges Archbishop
Kolkata: The police had turned a blind eye when the vandalism was going on at the missionary school following the death of an 11-year-old student on September 12, Archbishop Thomas D`Souza, head of the Roman Catholic Church of the Kolkata diocese, on Monday alleged.
Not only that, the Archbishop further alleged, the police gave in to the pressure of the unruly mob to force the principal of the Christ Church Girls` High School, Helen Sarkar, to tender her resignation.
D`Souza said that the West Bengal Association of Christian Schools would go ahead with their shutdown of all Christian schools in the state on September 19, which would also be observed as a Black Day, despite Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s assurance that she would take necessary steps.
"When the incident was taking place, the police were present there, but had turned into mute spectators. The mob was forcing the principal to resign and the police instead of controlling the unruly mob gave in to the pressure of the mob and pressured Helen Sarkar to resign. This shouldn`t have been the case," D`Souza observed.
D`Souza, who is also president of the West Bengal Association of Christian Schools, said that the association would submit a memorandum to Governor M K Narayanan and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee over the incident.
"The association also demands protection of life and property of all the Christian minorities, especially of all our educational institutions," he said.
He said that he appreciates CM`s concern over the incident. "We had a telephonic conversation yesterday. But the fact is that the incident was horrible. The teachers in other Christian schools are also terrified over the incident. We are against shutdown or any kind of strike. But sometimes in order to send out a message and register our concerns we have decided to observe the strike on September
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday