WB rape: Govt`s response premature, says NCW
New Delhi: Terming as "premature" the West
Bengal government`s response to the Park Street car rape case,
the National Commission for Women on Monday said Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee`s statement that the incident was fabricated
could influence the investigation process.
"NCW is concerned of the reported statements of the West
Bengal government saying the claim of the woman was
fabricated. The reaction should have been given after a
thorough investigation of the matter and such premature
reaction can influence investigation," NCW Chairperson Mamta
Sharma said in a statement here.
Banerjee had said the rape of the Anglo-Indian woman was
a "fabricated story" intended to malign her government and
blamed some TV channels for projecting it.
The NCW also slammed Kolkata Police for purportedly not
cooperating with the victim and pulled them up for the delay
caused in her medical examination.
The Commission has also sought response from the state
government on the progress made in the investigation and the
relief provided to the victim.
On February 5, five man picked up the woman, in her
mid-30`s and a mother of two children, in a car from outside a
night club on Park Street in central Kolkata and raped her at
She alleged that the police ignored her complaints when
she mustered courage to report the incident four days later at
Park Street police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account