WB rape: Govt`s response premature, says NCW
New Delhi: Terming as "premature" the West
Bengal government`s response to the Park Street car rape case,
the National Commission for Women on Monday said Chief Minister
Mamata Banerjee`s statement that the incident was fabricated
could influence the investigation process.
"NCW is concerned of the reported statements of the West
Bengal government saying the claim of the woman was
fabricated. The reaction should have been given after a
thorough investigation of the matter and such premature
reaction can influence investigation," NCW Chairperson Mamta
Sharma said in a statement here.
Banerjee had said the rape of the Anglo-Indian woman was
a "fabricated story" intended to malign her government and
blamed some TV channels for projecting it.
The NCW also slammed Kolkata Police for purportedly not
cooperating with the victim and pulled them up for the delay
caused in her medical examination.
The Commission has also sought response from the state
government on the progress made in the investigation and the
relief provided to the victim.
On February 5, five man picked up the woman, in her
mid-30`s and a mother of two children, in a car from outside a
night club on Park Street in central Kolkata and raped her at
She alleged that the police ignored her complaints when
she mustered courage to report the incident four days later at
Park Street police station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- 'Quantico' diva Priyanka Chopra misses mommy during shoots!- See pic
- No trace of missing IAF AN-32 plane as yet; Defence Minister undertakes aerial survey
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Catch Jacqueline Fernandez-John Abraham-Varun Dhawan on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Indian aid worker kidnapped in Afghanistan released
- Turkey will adhere to democratic principles, rule of law: Deputy PM