WB seat of administration shifts to new address in Howrah
Kolkata: For the first time in its history, the seat of West Bengal administration on Saturday formally moved out of heritage Writers` Building to the new 15-storey HRBC building across the Hooghly river in Howrah district.
After arriving at the new building, painted blue and white and named `Nabanna`, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee unfurled the national flag.
Chief Secretary Sanjay Mitra,Home secretary Basudeb Banerjee and ministers were present among others during the inauguration.
The shifting is done temporarily to facilitate renovation of the Writers` Buildings constructed in 1706.
Eleven government departments (mostly under the Chief Minister) -- CMO, Police Directorate, Home, Information and Cultural Affairs, Personnel and Administrative Reforms, Minority Affairs, Land and Land Reforms are housed in the new building besides Finance, Agriculture, Disaster Management and the PWD.
The Kolkata Police would look after the internal security of the building and the Howrah police would have jurisdiction outside.
PWD Minister Sudarshan Ghosh Dastidar has said that the renovation of Writers` Buildings under direct supervision of the Chief Minister would be of international standard.
Reports said the renovation could cost the state government over Rs 200 crore.
Writers` Buildings was constructed nearly three centuries ago for `writers` or clerks of the British East India Company which gave the building its name.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video