WB Speaker accepts privilege motion against Trinamool MLAs
Kolkata: West Bengal Assembly Speaker H
A Halim on Friday accepted a privilege notice against three
Trinamool Congress MLAs who obstructed him from leaving the
House, saying their action amounted to breach of privilege.
The notice of breach of privilege and contempt was
moved by RSP legislator Tapan Hore under Rule 226 against
Trinamool Congress legislators Firhad Hakim, Arup Biswas and
Halim accepted the motion for discussion in the next
session since today was the closing day of the current one.
Demanding termination of their membership, Hore said
that the conduct of the three members was unbecoming and
Trinamool Congress members, who entered while Hore was
moving the motion, began shouting along with Congress members
and the lone SUCI member.
CLP leader Manas Bhuniya said that the chief minister
should have been present in the House yesterday when Leader of
the Opposition, Partha Chatterjee raised the motion under Rule
319 highlighting the failure of the Left Front government.
Stating that as per convention the chief minister
should be present in the House, Trinamool Congress legislator
Sobhandeb Chattopadhyay claimed that Halim had assured him as
such during the Business Advisory Committee meeting.
Halim, however, countered him saying that at no point
of time had he said that the chief minister would be present
in the House.
As per ethics, the Speaker said, the chief minister
should be present, but it was not mandatory and the government
could depute any cabinet minister to reply in his absence.
Halim said that he had informed the Opposition as soon
as he came to know that the chief minister would not be
present due to exigencies of work and the Parliamentary
Affairs Minister Sailen Sarkar would speak on his behalf.
The Speaker said he fell ill yesterday and had to
undergo a checkup by physicians, adding he told the media
yesterday that he was obstructed and not assaulted.
"It does not mean I was not mentally assaulted."
The Speaker fell ill and had to be administered oxygen
when Trinamool Congress member Arup Biswas tried to prevent
him from leaving after he adjourned the House for the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark