WB: Three more babies die in Malda hospital
Malda: Three more infants died at the
Malda Sadar Hospital here on Wednesday after being referred in
critical condition from other district hospitals, taking the
death toll in recent spell to 31.
The state health services Director, Dr Biswaranjan
Satpathi, told reporters after a visit to the hospital today
that the babies were born pre-mature, underweight and suffered
from broncho-pneumonia before being admitted.
While 31 babies had died in the past week itself,
Satpathi said that overall 75 babies had died in the hospital
between January one and January 20 in spells.
"A total 974 babies were admitted to the hospital during
the 20 days," he said.
The health official admitted that the number of patients
admitted was more than the hospital`s infrastructure would
"Apart from the district, patients from nearby districts
like North Dinajpur, South Dinajpur and Jharkhand as well as
Bihar also come to the hospital," Dr Satpathi said.
He said that the state government was trying to improve
the infrastructure not only in the hospital concerned, but
also in other hospitals at Chanchol and Gajol in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal