WB: Train passengers` kin desperately seek information
Kolkata: Worried relatives of the passengers in the Vananchal Express and the Uttar Banga Express involved in an accident Monday dashed from one station to another to know whether their near and dear ones were dead or alive.
"My mother-in-law Mala Roy and my wife were coming from Coochbehar. They were in the Uttar Banga Express. But I don`t know whether they are dead or alive," said Kanchan Dey.
"Last (Sunday) night I talked to my son-in law and daughter over telephone. They were inside the Vananchal Express. I had gone to the Howrah station earlier. And now I have come to Sealdah station but still I don`t have any information about them," said Phulmati Dutta whose daughter Rama Ray was in the train.
At least 60 people were killed and 150 injured early Monday after the speeding Sealdah-bound Uttar Banga Express rammed into three coaches of the stationary Bhagalpur-Ranchi Vananchal Express at Sainthia station in Birbhum district, 191 km from Kolkata, railway authorities said.
Prashanta Mahapatra, in his 60s, was seen frantically pressing the buttons of his mobile phone. But he was disappointed every time he dialled the number.
"My son was going to Ranchi. He took the train from Asansol. But I don`t have any information about him. Whenever I call I am told the mobile is switched off," said Mahapatra.
"I pray to god that my son Dalim Kundu and my grandson are fine. The mobile phones are saying unreachable," said a wailing Ghostho Behari Kundu whose son and grandson was in the Vananchal Express.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad