WB: Trawler with 100 on board capsizes, 3 bodies found
Kolkata: Three persons drowned and four
others were rescued after a trawler with over 100 people
on board capsized in the Muriganga river at Talpatty near
Sagar Islands in South 24 Parganas district on Saturday.
"Three bodies have been found and four passengers have
been rescued," Additional DG (Law and Order) S Karpurokayastha
told agency here.
The police are yet to ascertain exactly how many
persons are still missing, he said.
Reports reaching here said that there were over 100
persons on the trawler.
A Defence ministry spokesman said that navy divers
from Eastern Naval headquarters at Visakhapatnam were rushing
for rescue operations.
"The West Bengal government has sought the help of the
navy for rescue work. Since no navy divers are available
here, the Naval headquarters at Vizag has been asked to send
divers," he said.
Three trawlers were sailing to Kakdwip when one of
them capsized between Rosulpur and Ghoramara. The trawlers
were sailing from Hijli Sarif under Khejuri police station
in East Midnapore district to Kakdwip in South 24 Parganas,
Kakdwip SDPO Sanjit Bhattacharya told PTI.
Sunderban development minister Kanti Ganguly has
rushed to the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ranbir Kapoor, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan to get intimate in ‘Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’ – Here’s how
- Oomph factor! Priyanka Chopra looks smoking hot in THESE magazine covers
- Missing Batla House encounter suspects Sajid, Rashid appear in ISIS video on Indian 'Jihadists'
- 'BJP will get clear majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections; SP, BSP will give fight in some seats'
- BCCI contemplating over holding mini-IPL in September: Report