WB will not pay interest on central loans for 3 years: Mamata
Dhaniakhali: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Saturday said her government will not pay annual interests on central loans to the state for three years due to the extreme financial crisis left behind by the erstwhile Left Front government.
"While the Central help to bail out our cash-strapped state is not at all forthcoming, we have expressed our inability to pay annual interests on the central loans. Our annual revenue stands at Rs 21,000 crore but a sum of Rs 26,000 crore goes out to the central exchequer from our state," she told a rally at this Hooghly district town.
She wondered why her government should carry on the debt burden of Rs 2.5 lakh crore left by the LF government.
Slamming the Centre for taking away the bulk of revenue from the state, she said, "The Centre takes away Rs 40,000 crore from the state annually through central taxes. But they give West Bengal only Rs 18,000 crore in return.
"The Centre takes away 68 per cent of the revenue generated from the state in the form of different central taxes and returns only 32 percent of the revenue."
"We do not want any alms. We are demanding our dues from the Centre," Banerjee said.
Without naming anyone, Banerjee said one or two union
ministers claim that the states are being given a lot of money from the Central projects.
"From where does this money (given by the Centre) come? It is generated from the states. We should be allowed to spend the money which the Centre is taking away from us."
The Trinamool Congress chairperson was also critical of the Centre for frequent hikes of petrol and diesel prices, rise in fertilizer prices, ceiling imposed on subsidised domestic LPG cylinders and its recent decision to increase railway fares.
She also criticised the move to gradually hike diesel prices every month till the losses are wiped off.
"What are they are doing? God and Allah please forgive them," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today