WBHRC directs ADG to investigate Shiladitya`s arrest
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Friday directed its ADG to investigate the arrest of Shiladitya Chowdhury, who had allegedly shouted anti-government slogans at a meeting of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Jhargram recently.
"WBHRC chairman Ashok Ganguly ordered an enquiry by its own investigation wing headed by additional director general (ADG) K P P Rao," its joint secretary Sujoy Haldar said.
"The ADG will enquire into the matter and submit a report within three weeks ," Haldar said, adding, WBHRC had taken cognisance of a petition by BJP leaders earlier in the day.
A BJP delegation met the WBHRC chairman on the issue and sought the Commission`s intervention, BJP sources said.
The delegation led by BJP state president Rahul Sinha met Chowdhury at Jhargram jail and visited his family members in his native Binpur village in West Midnapore district yesterday, the sources added.
Chowdhury was arrested and remanded to 14 days custody by a Jhargram court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Indian Premier League: List of players bought by franchises at Saturday's auction
- Indian cricketers are getting married in Twenty20 mode