WBHRC directs ADG to investigate Shiladitya`s arrest
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Friday directed its ADG to investigate the arrest of Shiladitya Chowdhury, who had allegedly shouted anti-government slogans at a meeting of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Jhargram recently.
"WBHRC chairman Ashok Ganguly ordered an enquiry by its own investigation wing headed by additional director general (ADG) K P P Rao," its joint secretary Sujoy Haldar said.
"The ADG will enquire into the matter and submit a report within three weeks ," Haldar said, adding, WBHRC had taken cognisance of a petition by BJP leaders earlier in the day.
A BJP delegation met the WBHRC chairman on the issue and sought the Commission`s intervention, BJP sources said.
The delegation led by BJP state president Rahul Sinha met Chowdhury at Jhargram jail and visited his family members in his native Binpur village in West Midnapore district yesterday, the sources added.
Chowdhury was arrested and remanded to 14 days custody by a Jhargram court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit
- Gold rebounds on jewellers' buying, silver jumps Rs 280/kg
- US Open 2016: Saketh Myneni advances to main draw