WBHRC directs ADG to investigate Shiladitya`s arrest
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Friday directed its ADG to investigate the arrest of Shiladitya Chowdhury, who had allegedly shouted anti-government slogans at a meeting of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Jhargram recently.
"WBHRC chairman Ashok Ganguly ordered an enquiry by its own investigation wing headed by additional director general (ADG) K P P Rao," its joint secretary Sujoy Haldar said.
"The ADG will enquire into the matter and submit a report within three weeks ," Haldar said, adding, WBHRC had taken cognisance of a petition by BJP leaders earlier in the day.
A BJP delegation met the WBHRC chairman on the issue and sought the Commission`s intervention, BJP sources said.
The delegation led by BJP state president Rahul Sinha met Chowdhury at Jhargram jail and visited his family members in his native Binpur village in West Midnapore district yesterday, the sources added.
Chowdhury was arrested and remanded to 14 days custody by a Jhargram court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?
- 30 Dalit groups in Gujarat form united front to fight atrocities
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI
- Jallikattu: Customs, traditions have to pass legal and constitutional test as well, says SC
- Milky Way's hot gaseous Halo spins like a disk!