WBHRC directs ADG to investigate Shiladitya`s arrest
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Friday directed its ADG to investigate the arrest of Shiladitya Chowdhury, who had allegedly shouted anti-government slogans at a meeting of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee at Jhargram recently.
"WBHRC chairman Ashok Ganguly ordered an enquiry by its own investigation wing headed by additional director general (ADG) K P P Rao," its joint secretary Sujoy Haldar said.
"The ADG will enquire into the matter and submit a report within three weeks ," Haldar said, adding, WBHRC had taken cognisance of a petition by BJP leaders earlier in the day.
A BJP delegation met the WBHRC chairman on the issue and sought the Commission`s intervention, BJP sources said.
The delegation led by BJP state president Rahul Sinha met Chowdhury at Jhargram jail and visited his family members in his native Binpur village in West Midnapore district yesterday, the sources added.
Chowdhury was arrested and remanded to 14 days custody by a Jhargram court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users