WBHRC directs IG to probe Abhijit`s death in custody
Kolkata: West Bengal Human Rights Commission on Wednesday took a suo motu cognisance of the custodial death of undertrial Abhijit Patra and directed the IG, Correctional Services, to inquire into it and submit a report with specific comment within two years.
The WBHRC Registrar Rabindra Nath Samanta said that the directive has been issued by a WBHRC bench comprising the Commission Chairman Justice A K Ganguly and member S N Roy.
Kolkata Police Commissioner Surajit Kar Purakayastha has also been directed to conduct a separate inquiry by an officer not below the rank of the additional commissioner of police and submit before WBHRC a detailed report about the `highhandedness of police` on the residents of Malipara under Entally police station area with specific comments of the city police commissioner within two weeks, he said.
Abhijit, an undertrial in a criminal case, fell ill on November 2 at Presidency Correctional Home and was admitted to jail hospital for treatment. On November 4 he was referred to the state-run SSKM Hospital but was transferred to S N Pandit Hospital as there was no bed.
But instead of admitting him at the S N Pandit Hospital, Abhijit was brought back to the correctional home where he died yesterday, Samanta said quoting reports.
However, the inmates of the jail and Abhijit`s family members have alleged that police had beaten him yesterday at the insistence of a leader of the ruling party.
This led to outbursts at Malipara and in order to tackle the situation police resorted to lathicharge. Abhijit`s father was assaulted during the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Europa League draw: Manchester United set for Robin van Persie reunion
- Bomb disposal squad deployed in central England after arrests
- US Open 2016: Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal drawn for potential semi-final clash
- Long traffic jams may increase risk of cancer!
- Fighters and residents leave besieged Damascus suburb Daraya