WBPCC demands central force for free, fair and peaceful poll
Kolkata: Congress on Sunday once again demanded holding of panchayat polls in West Bengal in the presence of central forces to make the exercise free, fair and peaceful without interference of the ruling Trinamool Congress.
"We have already urged the State Election Commission in this regard demanding central paramilitary forces to ensure free, fair and peaceful election in the state. The SEC has assured us of looking into the matter," West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee president Pradip Bhattacharya said here after a meeting with the party`s district units in the presence of central observers.
AICC observer-in-charge of West Bengal Shakeel Ahmed and AICC leader RC Kuntia, who were present in the meeting, called to sort out problems faced by district units and to coordinate the entire process of the party`s preparation for panchayat election, Bhattacharya said.
The two AICC leaders also assessed the situation at the block and district levels, Bhattacharya said, claiming that the leaders had acknowledged improvement in the party`s position compared to previous panchayat election.
He quoted the AICC leaders as saying that hooligans, once under the CPI(M), had switched over to the Trinamool Congress and unleashed a reign of terror warranting the presence of central forces during polling.
To a question, he said his party will fight the election alone and there will not be seat adjustment with any other party.
Claiming credit for 50 percent reservation for women in panchayat polls, Bhattacharya said, "In no way Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee can claim credit for this."
He also announced that a group of 75 Trinamool Congress workers from South 24-Parganas district had joined the Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what