We are ready for political talks in Darjeeling: CM
Kolkata: Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on Saturday said the West Bengal government is ready to hold talks on the ongoing agitation in Darjeeling provided Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) left the path of violence.
"The problem in Darjeeling can be sorted out through peceful political talks and we are ready for that....We cannot compromise with violence," he said at the annual combined parade of West Bengal and Kolkata Police Force here.
GJM had announced an indefinite strike on February 9 demanding a CBI inquiry into the Sipchu police firing on February 8, which left two of its supporters dead. The outfit has demanded a CBI inquiry into the firing and stated that it would not return to the talks table if a separate Gorkhaland was not the issue of discussion.
Bhattacharjee congratulated the state police for their `commendable job` in battling Maoists and for maintaining law and order and communal harmony in the state.
The government in its turn has taken the responsibility of the families who die while fighting the rebels, he said.
Governor MK Narayanan was present at the investiture ceremony and presented the medals to 55 policemen, of whom six were given for distinguished services and 49 for meritorious services in the police force.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?