We may be poor, but not beggars: Mamata to Centre
Purulia: West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday alleged that the UPA government was bent on depriving central assistance to the state, which would assert its rights.
"The Centre wants that we die of hunger. But as long we are in power in the state, we will not let that happen. We may be poor, but not beggars," Banerjee told a rally here in Purulia district.
"We know how to get back our rights," she said, but did not elaborate.
Whether central help was available or not, her government would assist farmers with tractors and agriculture inputs and also electricity for irrigation since diesel was hardly affordable after the hike in its price, the chief minister said.
"We will build our own resources to sustain our agriculture," she said.
Her government could achieve many things in the last one and a half years despite severe fund constraints, she claimed.
"I challenge the opposition to charge me with defamation if I have given any false promise to the people," the firebrand leader said.
Banerjee also attacked a section of the media and urged the people not to give credence to canards against the government.
Among other things, a lac research centre, a multi-super specialty hospital, 12 model schools and an ITI would be established in the backward district, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...