West Bengal: 114 kids given Hepatitis B vaccine instead of Polio; inquiry ordered
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: In a case of serious medical laxity, 114 children were hospitalised in Hooghly district, after they were mistakenly given Hepatitis B vaccine orally instead of pulse polio drops.
The goof up on Sunday triggered protests with angry villagers locking up health workers and the suspension of six people.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has ordered an inquiry into the case.
Yesterday was pulse polio day so parents had taken their children to the polio booth at the Khatul village under Arambagh sub-division, official sources said.
One of the parents noticed that the health workers at the polio booth in Khatul village was giving Hepatitis B vaccine orally instead of polio drops and immediately informed the matter to the health workers and the villagers, the sources said.
By then 114 children had already been given the Hepatitis B vaccine orally.
Angry villagers then locked up the health workers and the local Block Development Officer (BDO) and the Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Arambagh who rushed to the spot to pacify them.
Meanwhile, all the 114 children who were given Hepatitis B vaccine instead of pulse polio drops were admitted to the Arambagh Sub-Divisional Hospital.
Superintendent of the Arambagh Sub-Divisional Hospital Nirmalya Ray said the Hepatitis B vaccine would not cause any harm to the children.
Hepatitis B is administered through injection while pulse polio drops are given orally.
Ray also said that most of the children had been discharged from hospital as they were admitted so that they could be kept under observation.
Hooghly District Magistrate Manmeet Nanda said six persons have been suspended in this connection. Five of them are health workers and one anganwadi worker.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- RJD nominates expelled BJP leader Ram Jethmalani, ex-Bihar CM Rabri Devi to Rajya Sabha
- Apple Inc may never open retail stores in India: Here is why!
- Congress targets Amitabh Bachchan over Modi govt's 2nd anniversary event, says 'wrong message being sent'
- WTO sees Brexit costing UK billions in trade tariffs: FT
- India business confidence dips to 5 month low in May