West Bengal: 5 more babies die in Burdwan hospital
Burdwan: Five more babies died in
Burdwan Medical College and Hospital in the last 24 hours,
taking the toll to 17 in recent times.
Deputy Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr Tapas Kumar
Ghosh said five children who were underweight and brought to
the referral hospital in a critical condition died since Saturday.
The babies were referred to the government hospital by
local hospitals in Burdwan and Birbhum districts, he said.
Ghosh said the death was within the normal range of crib
death in the hospital.
"As per the rate of crib death, 4-5 children die in the
hospital every day. There has been no negligence on the part
of the doctors and other medical staff," he said.
The expert team, that visited the hospital after 12
children died on October 28, ruled out any negligence on the
part of the doctors and hospital staff, he said.
The hospital has no neo-natal unit and lacks adequate
infrastructure to handle the rush of sick children, the team
of experts had said.
Besides the immediate installation of neo-natal unit, the
experts had also stressed on increasing the number of beds in
the hospital, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'