West Bengal: 5 more babies die in Burdwan hospital
Burdwan: Five more babies died in
Burdwan Medical College and Hospital in the last 24 hours,
taking the toll to 17 in recent times.
Deputy Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr Tapas Kumar
Ghosh said five children who were underweight and brought to
the referral hospital in a critical condition died since Saturday.
The babies were referred to the government hospital by
local hospitals in Burdwan and Birbhum districts, he said.
Ghosh said the death was within the normal range of crib
death in the hospital.
"As per the rate of crib death, 4-5 children die in the
hospital every day. There has been no negligence on the part
of the doctors and other medical staff," he said.
The expert team, that visited the hospital after 12
children died on October 28, ruled out any negligence on the
part of the doctors and hospital staff, he said.
The hospital has no neo-natal unit and lacks adequate
infrastructure to handle the rush of sick children, the team
of experts had said.
Besides the immediate installation of neo-natal unit, the
experts had also stressed on increasing the number of beds in
the hospital, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested
- How to dress like a star within your budget! Get tips right away