West Bengal: 5 more babies die in Burdwan hospital
Burdwan: Five more babies died in
Burdwan Medical College and Hospital in the last 24 hours,
taking the toll to 17 in recent times.
Deputy Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr Tapas Kumar
Ghosh said five children who were underweight and brought to
the referral hospital in a critical condition died since Saturday.
The babies were referred to the government hospital by
local hospitals in Burdwan and Birbhum districts, he said.
Ghosh said the death was within the normal range of crib
death in the hospital.
"As per the rate of crib death, 4-5 children die in the
hospital every day. There has been no negligence on the part
of the doctors and other medical staff," he said.
The expert team, that visited the hospital after 12
children died on October 28, ruled out any negligence on the
part of the doctors and hospital staff, he said.
The hospital has no neo-natal unit and lacks adequate
infrastructure to handle the rush of sick children, the team
of experts had said.
Besides the immediate installation of neo-natal unit, the
experts had also stressed on increasing the number of beds in
the hospital, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured