West Bengal: 5 more babies die in Burdwan hospital
Burdwan: Five more babies died in
Burdwan Medical College and Hospital in the last 24 hours,
taking the toll to 17 in recent times.
Deputy Superintendent of the Hospital, Dr Tapas Kumar
Ghosh said five children who were underweight and brought to
the referral hospital in a critical condition died since Saturday.
The babies were referred to the government hospital by
local hospitals in Burdwan and Birbhum districts, he said.
Ghosh said the death was within the normal range of crib
death in the hospital.
"As per the rate of crib death, 4-5 children die in the
hospital every day. There has been no negligence on the part
of the doctors and other medical staff," he said.
The expert team, that visited the hospital after 12
children died on October 28, ruled out any negligence on the
part of the doctors and hospital staff, he said.
The hospital has no neo-natal unit and lacks adequate
infrastructure to handle the rush of sick children, the team
of experts had said.
Besides the immediate installation of neo-natal unit, the
experts had also stressed on increasing the number of beds in
the hospital, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog