West Bengal: 9 babies die at Malda distt hospital
Malda (WB): In the latest instance of crib
deaths in West Bengal, nine babies have died at Malda District
Sadar Hospital in the last two days, Health department sources
said on Thursday.
The hospital superintendent, HK Ari, said the deaths
occurred in the Neo-natal unit from 12 noon on Tuesday.
A woman gave birth to a stillborn baby at the hospital
today, Ari said.
The babies were in the age group of 0 to nine months and
were suffering from broncho-pneumonia and low birth weight, he
While two newborns died soon after birth at the hospital,
others were brought there from villages and nearby areas, he
The areas include Mahananda Pally on the outskirts of
Englishbazar town and villages such as Manikchak and Kaliachak
and the tribal dominated Bamungola block, he said.
36 babies had died at several district hospitals and
the referral B C Roy Children`s hospital in Kolkata in
Ari ruled out any lapse on the part of the hospital`s
doctors and said the infants were suffering from
broncho-pneumonia and were underweight. Preventive steps were
being taken to pre-empt such deaths in future.
Meanwhile, state`s Director of Health Services S P
Basak said an investigation had been ordered into the deaths
and a report had been sought from the hospital pinpointing
responsibility and preventive steps being taken in this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam