West Bengal and Darjeeling are inseparable: Mamata Banerjee
Darjeeling: In a strong message to the GJM, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said that West Bengal and Darjeeling were inseparable.
"Darjeeling is the heart of Bengal. I am not against anyone. I am with the people of the hills. It is the motherland. Bengal cannot stay without you, nor can you stay without us," Banerjee told the first rally in the hills of the ruling Trinamool Congress at the Mall here.
Without naming the GJM which has recently backtracked from its politics of shutdowns and violence to demand Gorkhaland, the Banerjee said her government would not allow disruption of normal life in the name of bandhs which, hindered peace and development.
"My government`s policy is that there should be no bandhs and strikes," the Chief Minister said pointing out that there was also a court order against it.
"If there are only bandhs, how can development take place? If Kanchenjunga smiles I feel great. But if Kanchenjunga cries, then I feel pain," Banerjee said.
Stating that students lost a year if the educational institutions in Darjeeling remained closed for a month, she said "I want peace, progress and development in Darjeeling.
"Let us live together. Let us forget quarrels and let us work together for the development of Darjeeling," Banerjee appealed.
Describing herself as a bridge between the state and Darjeeling to stay united, Banerjee said she would visit Darjeeling more often.
Asking people if they did not want tourists who were the main revenue earners in the hills, she said "People from all parts of the country and abroad come to Darjeeling.
"If there is peace tourists will come and the tourism industry will get a boost and there will be creation of jobs."
Urging the hill people to make Darjeeling more beautiful than Switzerland, she sought the support of the Gorkha Territorial Administration, the hill council.
"Whatever is built, don`t destroy," she said.
Referring to the pay cut by the state government for the shutdown in the hills, she said "Pay cut was resorted to for not working for one month. We will return the money if you work sincerely."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'