West Bengal assembly celebrates 75 years
Kolkata: A two-day celebration to mark 75 years of the West Bengal Assembly started Monday, with former speakers including ex-Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee being felicitated on the occasion.
Governor MK Narayanan said the assembly has passed 2,232 legislations till now some of which are the "most progressive items of legislation in the world".
"Democracy is a process and not an event. This day is an important day for us and this assembly has been witness to many a great political shift. Legislations passed from here have been always aimed at providing social justice and public welfare," said Narayanan.
Describing the assembly of having an illustrious past, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee urged the members to work for the people without any prejudice.
"It is a big day today and we are all here to commemorate the completion of 75 years of the state assembly. I am proud to be part of this house which has been witness to an illustrious past with many incidents and people making their mark. I express my respects to the highest seat of democracy and urge all to work for the welfare of the public without any prejudice," said Banerjee.
Speaking on the occasion, state Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee urged the members to work together without any difference.
"We want to show the world we are all together. The House has a legacy and heritage and we must always respect that. Using the House to malign others is disrespect and all must refrain from it," said Chatterjee.
Former speaker HA Halim and eight members who have served eight terms or more were felicitated on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir