West Bengal bandh peaceful; normal life paralysed
Kolkata: The nation-wide bandh called by the
Left and opposition parties against rise in prices of
petroleum products was peaceful in West Bengal, but paralysed
normal life totally.
MP Tarun Mondal along with 109 supporters of SUCI, a left
opposition party, were arrested for violating permanent
prohibitory orders in force before the Raj Bhavan, IGP (Law
and Order) S Karpurakayastha said.
The bandh was peaceful throughout the state, he said,
adding tea gardens and the IT sector functioned normally.
Though Metro Rail services operated normally in the
metropolis, trains services, including long-distance and EMU
local trains were stopped by the bandh supporters at various
Air-India operated five domestic flights, including
Kolkata-Delhi and Kolkata-Mumbai and the Kolkata-Singapore
international flight from the N S C Bose International
Airport, Airport sources said, adding private airlines did not
Roads wore a deserted look in the capital city as public
transports were not plying and business establishments were
Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee was the only
minister to attend office at the state secretariat, Writers`
Buildings, where just 17 officials, including Chief Secretary
Ardhendu Sen and Home secretary Samar Ghosh, were present.
Asked if absence of employees would result in their
paycut, Ghosh said as per rules, attendance below five per
cent of total staff strength was considered a special holiday.
This was the second bandh in the state after the one on
June 26 on the same issue.
Meanwhile, the IGP said special security measures have
been taken in view of the 48-hour bandh called by Maoists from
July 7 in protest against the killing of its spokesperson,
Azad in an alleged fake encounter with the police in Adilabad
in Andhra Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly