West Bengal: Congress, BJP seek repoll in some booths
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday demanded repolling in a booth in Malda district after two of its candidates Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury from Malda South and Mausam Benazir Noor could not cast their votes due to malfunctioning of EVMs.
"This is the first time I could not cast my vote because the EVM in the booth is malfunctioning. Since a lot of time has elapsed and voting has not taken place so automatically there has to be a repolling here," said Choudhury, a union minister.
Noor, who too could not exercise her franchise, said she has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission seeking repolling in the booth.
In northern West Bengal`s Malda district, the Congress has renominated sitting MP Mausam Noor, Ghani Khan`s niece, from Malda North seat, while union minister Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury is in the fray from Malda South.
Hasem and Mausam both belong to the family of Ghani Khan Chowdhury, who never lost an election from Malda.
Both Noor and Choudhury alleged rigging, voters being prevented from casting votes and insufficient deployment of central security personnel in their respective constituencies.
Congress candidate from Balurghat in South Dinajpur district Om Prakash Mishra also alleged malpractices by the ruling Trinamool Congress in some of the booths.
"Not only our polling agents have been prevented from entering the booths but even central security forces were not to be seen. The Trinamool Congress is employing dirty tactics to avoid inevitable defeat," said Mishra.
Balurghat BJP candidate Biswapriya Roychowdhury has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission alleging that an EVM in a booth in Itahar block was rigged in favour of the Trinamool candidate.
"Whichever button is pressed in the EVM the vote is getting cast in favour of the Trinamool candidate. We have lodged a complaint with the EC seeking repolling in two booths," said Roychowdhury.
Voting for six Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal began Thursday in the second round of polling in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- NASA astronaut Jeff Williams' camera zooms in on alluring views of these two places! - See pics
- Nico Rosberg surprised to see teammate Lewis Hamilton finishing 3rd in Belgian GP
- See pic: Cassini captures delicate glow on Saturn's ring!
- Mamata urges people to oppose strike, government warns absentees of action
- India, Myanmar agree to increase bilateral cooperation