West Bengal: Congress, BJP seek repoll in some booths
Kolkata: The Congress on Thursday demanded repolling in a booth in Malda district after two of its candidates Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury from Malda South and Mausam Benazir Noor could not cast their votes due to malfunctioning of EVMs.
"This is the first time I could not cast my vote because the EVM in the booth is malfunctioning. Since a lot of time has elapsed and voting has not taken place so automatically there has to be a repolling here," said Choudhury, a union minister.
Noor, who too could not exercise her franchise, said she has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission seeking repolling in the booth.
In northern West Bengal`s Malda district, the Congress has renominated sitting MP Mausam Noor, Ghani Khan`s niece, from Malda North seat, while union minister Abu Hasem Khan Choudhury is in the fray from Malda South.
Hasem and Mausam both belong to the family of Ghani Khan Chowdhury, who never lost an election from Malda.
Both Noor and Choudhury alleged rigging, voters being prevented from casting votes and insufficient deployment of central security personnel in their respective constituencies.
Congress candidate from Balurghat in South Dinajpur district Om Prakash Mishra also alleged malpractices by the ruling Trinamool Congress in some of the booths.
"Not only our polling agents have been prevented from entering the booths but even central security forces were not to be seen. The Trinamool Congress is employing dirty tactics to avoid inevitable defeat," said Mishra.
Balurghat BJP candidate Biswapriya Roychowdhury has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission alleging that an EVM in a booth in Itahar block was rigged in favour of the Trinamool candidate.
"Whichever button is pressed in the EVM the vote is getting cast in favour of the Trinamool candidate. We have lodged a complaint with the EC seeking repolling in two booths," said Roychowdhury.
Voting for six Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal began Thursday in the second round of polling in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Why locals in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir are protesting against Nawaz Sharif's PML(N), ISI – Watch video
- Akshay Kumar to start Divya Khosla's next in September
- Woman killed for dowry in Etah; husband, five others booked
- Three charred to death as bus catches fire in Karnataka
- US avoiding 'confrontation' in sea row: John Kerry