West Bengal: CPI(M) leaders paraded, assaulted
Burdwan: Eight local CPI(M) leaders were on Thursday paraded by being pulled with the ropes tied around their waists before being beaten up by villagers at Saraighar in Burdwan district over alleged corruption.
The eight CPI(M) leaders -- Achinta Mondal and Srikanta Ghosh, both local CPI(M) committee members, former secretary of the gram panchayat Jahar Ghosh, besides Ashwini Mondal, Sukumar Pramanik and Kartik Mondal, three gram panchayat
members and Sunil Mullick, the secretary -- had called a meeting of the villagers in a field, local Trinamool Congress leader SK Jamal said.
The villagers had demanded an explanation on how Rs six lakh in development funds was spent about a fortnight ago and the CPI(M) leaders had said that an explanation would be given today, he said.
Jamal said a section of the people who had gathered in the field suddenly pounced on the eight Marxist leaders, tied ropes around their waists and paraded them before assaulting them.
The eight CPI(M) leaders were also made to sign written confessions before being let off.
Additional Superintendent of Police Debashish Sarkar said he was unaware of the incident and that no complaint has been lodged.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living