West Bengal governor`s visit to cyclone-hit area cancelled
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan`s visit to cyclone-ravaged North Dinajpur district was cancelled on Saturday due to poor weather conditions, an official said.
"The governor`s helicopter was to reach the district headquarters of Raiganj but it could not land because of poor weather conditions.”
"It (helicopter) finally returned to Siliguri as we came to know from the principal secretary (relief) ML Meena," North Dinajpur District Magistrate Ramanuj Chakraborty said.
Narayanan was scheduled to visit the storm-affected areas and meet senior district officials to review the relief operations.
"Perhaps the helicopter could not locate the exact location of the helipad," he said.
State Civil Defence Minister Srikumar Mukherjee said: "The helicopter did not land at Raigunj as the pilot could not take the risk because of the cloudy weather."
At least 43 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the cyclonic storm that left more than one lakh houses damaged in the district on Tuesday.
The storm with wind speed of 120 km per hour started at about 10.30 pm on Tuesday and swept across five blocks of the district, leaving thousands homeless and bringing down trees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30