West Bengal governor`s visit to cyclone-hit area cancelled
Kolkata: West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan`s visit to cyclone-ravaged North Dinajpur district was cancelled on Saturday due to poor weather conditions, an official said.
"The governor`s helicopter was to reach the district headquarters of Raiganj but it could not land because of poor weather conditions.”
"It (helicopter) finally returned to Siliguri as we came to know from the principal secretary (relief) ML Meena," North Dinajpur District Magistrate Ramanuj Chakraborty said.
Narayanan was scheduled to visit the storm-affected areas and meet senior district officials to review the relief operations.
"Perhaps the helicopter could not locate the exact location of the helipad," he said.
State Civil Defence Minister Srikumar Mukherjee said: "The helicopter did not land at Raigunj as the pilot could not take the risk because of the cloudy weather."
At least 43 people were killed and more than 100 injured in the cyclonic storm that left more than one lakh houses damaged in the district on Tuesday.
The storm with wind speed of 120 km per hour started at about 10.30 pm on Tuesday and swept across five blocks of the district, leaving thousands homeless and bringing down trees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off