West Bengal govt threatens stern action against agitating taxi drivers
Kolkata: Accusing the opposition of creating anarchy using taxis as a weapon, West Bengal government on Tuesday warned of stern action against errant drivers who force others from plying their vehicles creating great inconvenience for the people.
"I will hold a meeting with the police on how to stop vandalism by a section of taxi drivers and creating a sense of panic among willing cabbies," state Transport Minister Madan Mitra told newspersons here after taxis remained off the city`s roads for the second consecutive day today.
They are demanding the release of 22 fellow drivers arrested last week for enforcing a strike seeking fare hike and stopping alleged police harassment.
They are to be produced before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate`s Court here this afternoon and the drivers are scheduled to hold a demonstration outside the court premises.
Passengers at major railway stations and NSCB International Airport, as well as patients and office-goers were having a harrowing time in reaching their destinations.
"I have instructed the police to arrest the drivers involved in vandalism. Drivers should know that leaders of CPI(M) and BJP, who are trying to create anarchy will flee whenever arrests will be made. CPI(M) leader Shyamal Chakraborty and few others who had never stood for the cause of taxi drivers in the past, are suddenly being sympathetic to them," the minister said.
CITU is backing the drivers` threat not to bring out taxis till the 22 were released from custody.
Mitra said he would meet the police and take step to post police at all major intersections and facilitate willing taxi drivers to operate their vehicles. Even today a taxi was attacked for carrying a school student.
On the meeting scheduled to be held with taxi unions on August 13, he said "Meeting does not mean we will compromise but to tell them categorically that hard decisions will be taken against them if normalcy is not restored."
Mitra apologised for the inconvenience caused to the people due to the absence of taxis and said government had arranged extra buses at Sealdah and Howrah railway stations to ease the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt