West Bengal is now Paschim Banga
Kolkata: The West Bengal government and the opposition parties on Friday unanimously decided to rename the state Paschim Banga, state Industries Minister Partha Chatterjee announced.
"It has been unanimously decided by all the parties under the leadership of our Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee that from now onwards West Bengal will be called Paschim Banga. From now onwards, in English also, the name of our state will be written as Paschim Banga," Chatterjee said while addressing a media conference here.
"We have agreed with the state government regarding the renaming of West Bengal into Paschim Banga," opposition leader Surya Kanta Mishra of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPi-M) said after the meeting.
"While considering the name, we considered all the aspects including administrative, historical and social aspects," said Chatterjee.
A committee on Friday proposed the "shortlisted new names" for West Bengal at an all-party meeting.
The committee comprised of Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee and opposition leader Surjya Kanta Mishra. On Thursday, the Left Front shortlisted four names - Bangla, Paschim Banga, Banga Pradesh and Bangabhumi.
"The new name will now be passed in the state assembly then it will be sent to the union ministry of home affairs. From there, it will go to the parliament and then to the president for assent," Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) leader Manoj Bhattacharjee who was present in the meeting, said.
"We felt that due to historical and administrative reasons, all of us wanted to rename the state. After lot of discussion we found that it is better to have a name which is closer to the alphabet `A`. We may not be very closer to `A` but we have upgraded ourselves from `W` to `P` which is much closer to `A`," Industries Minister Partha Chatterjee said at a media conference here.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre