West Bengal: Naked body of girl, who defied village court order, found; 2 detained
Zee Media Bureau
Jalpaiguri: The naked body of a girl, who tried to save her father from being beaten by locals for failing to pay for a rented tractor at a village meeting, was on Tuesday found lying on railway tracks at Dhupguri in Jalpaiguri district, West Bengal.
The girl's father has identified the body. He, later, lodged an FIR against 13 persons at Dhupguri Police Station for "rape, murder and kidnapping" of his daughter, the police said.
Jalpaiguri superintendent of police Kunal Agarwal and Additional superintendent of police James Kujur rushed to the spot last night.
Two persons have been detained in this connection and the body has been sent for postmortem, Kujur said.
Trouble began at the 'Salishi Sabha' (reconciliation meeting) convened at Dhupguri on Monday night when the farmer's request for some more time to make the payment was turned down, the police said.
The local Trinamool Congress councillor of ward number 9 and her husband were present at the meeting, the police said.
The girl came out of her house pleading with the locals not to beat her father. A person known to her took her away from the meeting and she was missing since then, the police said. The councillor was not available for comment.
Student and youth wings of the CPI(M), SFI and DYFI, are observing a students strike and 'Black Day' in Dhupguri block on Wednesday, demanding punishment for the culprits. They also put up road blockades on NH 31.
BJP activists staged a demonstration in front of Dhupguri Police Station yesterday, police said.
District Trinamool Congress president Sourav Chakrabarty said the police were investigating and there was no need to give "political colour" to it.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing