West Bengal polls: PCPA leader Chhatradhar Mahato files nomination
Jhargram: Jailed PCPA leader Chhatradhar
Mahato on Tuesday filed nomination for the Assembly elections from
Jhargram constituency in Maoist-affected West Midnapore
Mahato was brought from the central correctional home,
where he is lodged, to SDO C Murugan`s office escorted by a
strong police party for filing the nomination.
Several thousands of his supporters accompanied him to the
SDO`s office from the correctional home.
The police said Chhatradhar`s wife Neoti Mahato was among
the people, mostly members of the PCPA, who accompanied him.
Neoti told reporters that such `spontaneous` gathering
indicated people`s support for the jailed leader.
Mahato first stated his desire to fight Assembly election
in October 2009 and on April 6 next year he made a written
application before the court of Additional Chief Judicial
Magistrate Sheikh Mohammed Rezza through his counsel to file
Mahato was arrested on October 27, 2009 by joint forces
from Birkar village in the Lalgarh police station area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test