West Bengal ragging case: Mamata Banerjee assures action
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: Even as the principal of a West Bengal school apologised following the death of a Class 5 student after she was allegedly ragged, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday assured the victim`s family of action in the matter.
Earlier in the day, irate parents and relatives of the girl ransacked Christ Church School in Dum Dum on the outskirts of the state capital.
Also Read: West Bengal ragging case: Parents ransack school, principal apologises
Parents and relatives say Oindrila Das, 10, was killed by the trauma she suffered while being ragged in school.
"The Chief Minister today called up Oindrila`s mother and expressed shock and grief over the girl`s death, and assured proper action," the victim`s uncle Alokesh Das said.
Oindrila Das died on Wednesday, a week after she was allegedly locked up inside the school toilet by some of her seniors who demanded Rs 100 from her.
Meanwhile, a huge contingent of policemen had to be deployed near the school after the family members of Oindrila ransacked it, demanding the arrest of the principal, alleging that she did nothing to save the girl.
Claiming that similar incidents have happened with other junior girls in the school, the parents and guardians accused the principal of inaction, despite full knowledge of the incidents. Those who laid siege to the school demanded that the principal be arrested, and that she be removed from the school.
"The principal is responsible for her death. She should be arrested," one of the parents said, as others laid siege to the school premises.
Principal Helen Sarkar later issued an apology.
Following the ruckus, state Education Minister Bratya Basu ordered a probe into the matter.
"Whatever happened is shocking and we have ordered a probe into the circumstances which caused the unfortunate incident," Basu said.
Meanwhile, Oindrila`s parents have demanded strict action against the girls who had locked up their daughter and also rubbished the school`s claim that the victim did not inform school authorities about the incident.
"The girls responsible for ragging her should be identified and strict action should be taken against them," the parents said.
"I have lost my daughter. But at least her death has created awareness which will help save many little girls from the menace of ragging," the victim`s father Santanu Das said.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’