West Bengal ragging case: Principal says she was forced to resign
Kolkata: Alleging that vandalism in her school was done in the presence of police, principal of the school Helen Sarkar on Wednesday said she did not resign voluntarily but was forced to do so by the mob which ransacked the institute last Thursday after the death of a Class V student.
Sarkar, the principal of Christ Church Girls` High School, also said she was forced to court arrest under pressure from the police and the mob.
"I had to give in to the police considering the safety of my teaching and non-teaching staff besides the hostel children who were scared," she told reporters here.
To a question, the principal said she has called the police and requested them to give protection to the school. "But vandalism took place in presence of the police," she said.
Asked about her resignation, Sarkar said she did not resign voluntarily.
"I did not resign on my own. I was forced by the mob and instructed by the police. The situation was so. I also did not want vandalism to continue", she said adding that the students wanted her to be back in the school.
The school managing committee had not accepted her resignation.
Sarkar also charged the police with acting according to the dictate of the mob.
She said she would visit the house of Oindrila Das, a class V student who had died on September 11, days after allegedly being confined to a toilet by her seniors.
Arrested on September 12 in connection with the death of the student, Sarkar was released on bail on Monday.
A mob, including parents of some of the students of the school, ransacked the over 100-year-old school on September 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick