West Bengal student gangraped, threatened
Kolkata: A first year polytechnic student was gangraped in West Bengal and a security guard arrested, police said on Saturday. The victim has alleged receiving threats for withdrawing her complaint.
The student of Rupnarayanpur Nazrul Centenary Polytechnic College was sexually assaulted on Tuesday in the college premises in Rupnarayanpur in Burdwan district, about 200 km from Kolkata, police said.
She said on Saturday: "Ever since my father lodged a police complaint naming members of the Trinamool Chatra Parishad, we have been getting threatening calls asking us to withdraw the complaint."
Apart from naming a parishad office bearer from the college, the victim also named one of her woman classmates for allegedly facilitating the crime, police said.
The father of the victim also said that the local leaders of the ruling Trinamool Congress were putting pressure on him and his family to cover up the case.
"They have asked me not to lodge an official complaint. They are all trying to cover it up," he said.
After the sexual assault, the victim was found in an unconscious state and admitted to hospital for treatment, police said.
Her father alleged that she was first drugged and then gangraped. The accused also videographed her while she lay at the college union room. His complaint named at least three students.
Following the complaint, police arrested a security guard of the college.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Asansol-Durgapur) Subrata Gangopadhyay told a news agency: "We have arrested a man following a complaint of gangrape. The accused has been produced before a court and we have sought his custody."
Meanwhile, rebel Trinamool leader Kabir Suman blamed "irresponsible comments" by party leaders, including Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, for the rising instances of atrocities against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city