West Bengal student gangraped, threatened
Kolkata: A first year polytechnic student was gangraped in West Bengal and a security guard arrested, police said on Saturday. The victim has alleged receiving threats for withdrawing her complaint.
The student of Rupnarayanpur Nazrul Centenary Polytechnic College was sexually assaulted on Tuesday in the college premises in Rupnarayanpur in Burdwan district, about 200 km from Kolkata, police said.
She said on Saturday: "Ever since my father lodged a police complaint naming members of the Trinamool Chatra Parishad, we have been getting threatening calls asking us to withdraw the complaint."
Apart from naming a parishad office bearer from the college, the victim also named one of her woman classmates for allegedly facilitating the crime, police said.
The father of the victim also said that the local leaders of the ruling Trinamool Congress were putting pressure on him and his family to cover up the case.
"They have asked me not to lodge an official complaint. They are all trying to cover it up," he said.
After the sexual assault, the victim was found in an unconscious state and admitted to hospital for treatment, police said.
Her father alleged that she was first drugged and then gangraped. The accused also videographed her while she lay at the college union room. His complaint named at least three students.
Following the complaint, police arrested a security guard of the college.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Asansol-Durgapur) Subrata Gangopadhyay told a news agency: "We have arrested a man following a complaint of gangrape. The accused has been produced before a court and we have sought his custody."
Meanwhile, rebel Trinamool leader Kabir Suman blamed "irresponsible comments" by party leaders, including Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, for the rising instances of atrocities against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow