West Bengal to pay back duped chit fund investors:
Kolkata: The West Bengal government is committed to compensate the losses suffered by chit fund investors in the wake of the Saradha Group`s fold-up, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said.
"We shall soon start paying compensation to the depositors cheated by the Saradha Group and such other chit fund companies recommended by the Justice (Retd) Shyamal Sen Commission of Inquiry," she said.
The Commission of Inquiry, set up by the state government to probe irregularities in the chit fund schemes of the Saradha group and other companies, began work recently setting a target to submit its report within six months.
Banerjee said that the Commission of Inquiry had so far received over four lakh complaints along with appeals for return of their deposits.
"The Justice (Retd) Shyamal Sen Commission of Inquiry, probing the chit fund scam, will prepare a data bank on the basis of the complaints before recommending to the state government," she said.
The inquiry commission would decide ways on how to return the money of the thousands of investors duped by the Saradha Group and other companies.
Banerjee also said that a Rs 500-crore relief fund had been set up by the government to pay back investors and agents following the Saradha meltdown.
The government also announced a "Social Security Scheme" under which people would be able to invest safely and with a guarantee of "proper returns", she said and appealed to the affected people to "stay calm" while the government makes efforts to help them.
The Left Front and the Congress in the state had demanded a CBI probe into the chit fund scam, claiming that an impartial inquiry could not be expected from the Trinamool Congress government as the ruling party had alleged ties with the Saradha Group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof