West Bengal Tourism Minister`s car attacked
Kolkata: West Bengal Tourism Minister Rachpal Singh`s vehicle was attacked while he was going for a programme Sunday in Hooghly`s Haripal, about 50 km from here. Singh was reportedly unhurt in the incident.
"I was on my way to attend a function in Haripal when some people came to me and complained that they were needlessly baton charged by the police. I assured them that I will talk to the police officials and enquire about it when suddenly some stones were thrown at my car," Singh said over phone.
"I have asked the police superintendent (Tanmay Roychowdhury) to enquire into the matter," said Singh adding that he was unhurt.
Singh also claimed that he was unaware as to the reason for the baton charge.
However, the lawmaker from the area, Becharam Manna of the Trinamool Congress accused Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supporters of creating ruckus and claimed that several of his party workers were injured in the baton charge.
"The CPI-M workers threw stones at his (Singh) car. They had planned to create trouble during the function and started hitting our party workers. They also attacked the police who then ordered the baton charge in which several Trinamool Congress workers were injured," Manna said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan