West Bengal village records six suicides within a fortnight
Baharampur: Six persons, including two women, have committed suicide at a single village in Murshidabad district in the past 15 days, a district official said on Thursday.
During the period from October 10 to 24 six persons belonging to different households hanged themselves to death at Arjunpur village under Farakka police station area, Block Development Officer Subrata Chakraborty said.
Two other persons were also injured while tried to commit suicide during this period, he said.
"We don`t know about the circumstances and the reason but so many incidents of suicide and separate suicide attempts in a single pocket is unusual," another official said, adding that the authorities are planning to send a team of psychologists to the area to speak to the bereaved families and neighbours and know the circumstances.
A medical team has also gone to the spot to find out if the villagers were suffering from alcohol-related ailments since there are country liquor dens in the area, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- France beat Ireland 2-1 to reach Euro 2016 quarter-finals
- SUV chases Gujarat Oppn leader Shankersinh Vaghela's vehicle, nearly hits it
- Srinagar records season's hottest day, heat wave on in Jammu
- Attack on union ministers is 'panic reaction' of BJD: Manohar Parrikar
- Arvind Kejriwal pushing Delhi into constitutional crisis: Delhi BJP