West Bengal: Water level of rivers receding
Jalpaiguri (WB): The flood situation in Jalpaiguri district of north Bengal improved on Tuesday with water level receding from most of the rivers after the incessant rains stopped last evening.
However, Chapadanga and Balapara villages were inundated after an irrigation bund breached today resulting in the waters of Dharala and Teesta to merge.
Four relief camps were opened in those areas and the affected people were shifted to higher places, official sources said.
State Irrigation minister Manas Bhuniya who visited Khayerkata village of Nagrakata block said the district administration had been instructed to take urgent measures to provide relief to the people and keep him informed.
Two trained elephants were deployed yesterday to rescue over 350 marooned residents of Khayerkata village after the lone bridge linking it to Dhupguri town had collapsed.
Bhuniya said construction of a bridge was urgently required in the area.
Two units of National Disaster Relief Force had been deployed to work in the flood-affected area of the district.
One person was swept away and vast areas of the district were submerged following heavy rains and floods in rivers in sub-Himalayan region of West Bengal since Sunday last.
The water level in Teesta river had touched the extreme danger mark and along with Reti and Dudhua had flooded large tracts of Jalpaiguri district, including Khayerkata village and Dhupguri, a tea area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon