West Bengal: Woman gives birth on road, dies
Kolkata: The inhuman face of the state-run health services came to the fore once again in the city, as a pregnant woman died after she was allegedly denied admission in two of the leading hospitals in Kolkata.
Uma Devi, 38, had on Thursday night given birth to a child. After she fell ill, her husband took her to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital where she was enrolled for check ups during the initial months of pregnancy.
But a family member of Uma Devi alleged the hospital authorities refused to admit her in the middle of the night and referred her to Shambhunath Pandit hospital - another state run hospital.
On her way to the Shambhunath Pandit hospital, she gave birth to another child. But the hospital authorities of Shambhunath Pandit hospital also refused admission and referred her back to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital. Uma devi died on her way.
Although health officials denied the incident, they have ordered an inquiry into the incident under tremendous pressure.
"We have formed a three member committee to enquire into the incident," said Ashis Mukhopadhay, superintendent, Chittaranjan Seva Sadan Hospital.
"I have enquired about the incident but nobody has said anything to me," said director of medical education Sushanta Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India