West Bengal: Woman gives birth on road, dies
Kolkata: The inhuman face of the state-run health services came to the fore once again in the city, as a pregnant woman died after she was allegedly denied admission in two of the leading hospitals in Kolkata.
Uma Devi, 38, had on Thursday night given birth to a child. After she fell ill, her husband took her to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital where she was enrolled for check ups during the initial months of pregnancy.
But a family member of Uma Devi alleged the hospital authorities refused to admit her in the middle of the night and referred her to Shambhunath Pandit hospital - another state run hospital.
On her way to the Shambhunath Pandit hospital, she gave birth to another child. But the hospital authorities of Shambhunath Pandit hospital also refused admission and referred her back to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital. Uma devi died on her way.
Although health officials denied the incident, they have ordered an inquiry into the incident under tremendous pressure.
"We have formed a three member committee to enquire into the incident," said Ashis Mukhopadhay, superintendent, Chittaranjan Seva Sadan Hospital.
"I have enquired about the incident but nobody has said anything to me," said director of medical education Sushanta Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder