Widows inaugurate Durga Puja in Kolkata
Kolkata: Widows, who usually stay away from worshipping, have inaugurated a Durga Puja at Bhadreswar near Kolkata. The office-bearers of Shitala Tala Tarun Sangha said they invited the widows of the locality to initiate Durga Puja to pay homage to the women who are the actual creators of the world.
The eyes of the elderly women lit up as they put fire to the lamps to start Durga Puja last evening. The place was overcrowded and burst into clapping as the elderly mothers started puja.
"I am overwhelmed by the honour bestowed upon us. Being a women, I am too happy to get so much respect from my neighbours," Rama Sar, one of the widows who lit the sacred lamp, said with voice choked in emotion.
It has been an attempt for the organisers to make the puja inauguration different on the platinum jubilee of the club.
"It is the only way to pay respect towards our mothers and raise voice against the violence on women. We hope the inauguration of the puja could help to break the shell of the loneliness around these widows," President of the club Sukumar Bhattacharya said.
Visitors also praised the puja organisers for giving the local widows the opportunity to start Durga Puja. "This has been a opportunity to worship our living goddess," Anjan Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside