Widows inaugurate Durga Puja in Kolkata
Kolkata: Widows, who usually stay away from worshipping, have inaugurated a Durga Puja at Bhadreswar near Kolkata. The office-bearers of Shitala Tala Tarun Sangha said they invited the widows of the locality to initiate Durga Puja to pay homage to the women who are the actual creators of the world.
The eyes of the elderly women lit up as they put fire to the lamps to start Durga Puja last evening. The place was overcrowded and burst into clapping as the elderly mothers started puja.
"I am overwhelmed by the honour bestowed upon us. Being a women, I am too happy to get so much respect from my neighbours," Rama Sar, one of the widows who lit the sacred lamp, said with voice choked in emotion.
It has been an attempt for the organisers to make the puja inauguration different on the platinum jubilee of the club.
"It is the only way to pay respect towards our mothers and raise voice against the violence on women. We hope the inauguration of the puja could help to break the shell of the loneliness around these widows," President of the club Sukumar Bhattacharya said.
Visitors also praised the puja organisers for giving the local widows the opportunity to start Durga Puja. "This has been a opportunity to worship our living goddess," Anjan Sarkar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice