Will defeat Maoists like in 1970s: Buddhadeb
Kolkata: The West Bengal government will crush the Maoist menace like it did in 1970-71, Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said Wednesday.
"The Maoist problem is not the continuation of the earlier Naxalite problem, which started from Naxalbari. This is completely new. They have chosen that area not because poor people or tribals live there but because of the difficult terrain," Bhattacharjee said in an interactive session with industrialists organised by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
He said most of the Maoists operating in West Bengal were from neighbouring Jharkhand and Orissa.
Maoists are active particularly in three districts of West Bengal - Purulia, Bankura and West Midnapore.
Bhattacharjee said 28 police station areas in the western part of the state were disturbed due to Maoist activities.
"As we have defeated the Naxalite (movement) in 1970-71, both politically and administratively, this time also they (Maoists) will not be able to stray in other parts of the state. In our state, I will not allow them to spread in other parts," he said.
The Naxalite movement that originated in West Bengal in May 1970 quickly spread to many parts of India, leaving thousands dead. Partly because of internal schism, security forces crushed the movement in the early 1970s.
The present Communist Party of India-Maoist claims to follow the ideals of Charu Mazumdar, the godfather of the original Indian Maoist insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM