Will film stars, footballers be of help to people: Somen Mitra
Kolkata: Raising doubts about the film stars and football players nominated by the Trinamool Congress for the coming Lok Sabha polls, senior Congress leader Somen Mitra on Thursday asked whether they would be of help to the people considering their pressing schedules.
"Taking up film stars or football players in the group is a good strategy but how much they will be of helpful to the people is a big question.”
"Will they be able to give their time to the people leaving behind their respected working fields?" Mitra, a former state Congress chief, said in a post on social networking site Facebook.
Reigning Bengali matinee idol Dev, film personalities Moon Moon Sen, Sandhya Roy, Tapas Pal and Satabdi Roy, former Indian soccer skippers Bhaichung Bhutia and Prasun Banerjee, singers Indranil Sen and Soumitra Roy, and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose`s grand nephew Sugata Bose figure in the list of Trinamool candidates announced by party chief Mamata Banerjee here on Wednesday.
Mitra said he has great respect for the celebrities, activist, sports personalities and people from the education field who have been given a chance to represent the respective parties.
"The success these people have acquired in their respective fields show that people value their roles whole heartedly," he said.
Referring to Bhutia, who has been given the party ticket from Darjeeling, Mitra said "knowing my bit about Mr Bhutia, I am not sure if he has a role to play in the development of Darjeeling".
On Dev, Mitra said: "He is at the peak of his stardom and I expect his career commitments in the world of cinema to restrict his presence in Delhi as well as in the constituency he is representing post elections."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family