Will film stars, footballers be of help to people: Somen Mitra
Kolkata: Raising doubts about the film stars and football players nominated by the Trinamool Congress for the coming Lok Sabha polls, senior Congress leader Somen Mitra on Thursday asked whether they would be of help to the people considering their pressing schedules.
"Taking up film stars or football players in the group is a good strategy but how much they will be of helpful to the people is a big question.”
"Will they be able to give their time to the people leaving behind their respected working fields?" Mitra, a former state Congress chief, said in a post on social networking site Facebook.
Reigning Bengali matinee idol Dev, film personalities Moon Moon Sen, Sandhya Roy, Tapas Pal and Satabdi Roy, former Indian soccer skippers Bhaichung Bhutia and Prasun Banerjee, singers Indranil Sen and Soumitra Roy, and Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose`s grand nephew Sugata Bose figure in the list of Trinamool candidates announced by party chief Mamata Banerjee here on Wednesday.
Mitra said he has great respect for the celebrities, activist, sports personalities and people from the education field who have been given a chance to represent the respective parties.
"The success these people have acquired in their respective fields show that people value their roles whole heartedly," he said.
Referring to Bhutia, who has been given the party ticket from Darjeeling, Mitra said "knowing my bit about Mr Bhutia, I am not sure if he has a role to play in the development of Darjeeling".
On Dev, Mitra said: "He is at the peak of his stardom and I expect his career commitments in the world of cinema to restrict his presence in Delhi as well as in the constituency he is representing post elections."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference