Will step down if it is proved I helped Saradha chief: WB Minister
Dakshineswar: West Bengal minister and TMC leader Madan Mitra on Monday said that the opposition parties were spreading canards against him during the Lok Sabha elections and he would step down if it was proved that he had helped Saradha chief Sudipta Sen or his family.
"The opposition is spreading canards against me. I will resign if anyone can prove that I helped any family member of Sudipta Sen or his wife Piyali, who is now in the custody of the Enforcement Directorate," Mitra told reporters here.
"I will resign and seek a fresh mandate if anyone can prove my involvement in the scam," he said.
Stating that the letter dated April 6, 2013 written by Sudipta Sen to the CBI did not mention his name, he said, "Then why has my name been dragged into this issue which is raising questions among voters of Kamarhati assembly constituency which I represent."
Mitra alleged that Corporate Affairs minister Sachin Pilot gave registration on April 6, 2013 to a Saradha company while he had acknowledged in March 2013 in the Lok Sabha that 73 companies including Saradha had been blacklisted for unfair trade practices.
Blaming RBI for overlooking activities of Saradha, he said that the Saradha companies had their registration renewed by the Registrar of Companies though there was no audit from 2006 to 2013.
Without taking names, Mitra said that media houses had no qualms in taking advertisements from chitfund companies.
"Why did media houses take huge advertisements from Saradha?" he asked, adding that the Group had started its business in West Bengal during the Left Front regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...