Woman allegedly gang-raped found hanging in West Bengal
Kolkata: The body of a woman who was allegedly gang-raped and murdered was found hanging inside her house on Monday in West Bengal`s East Midnapore district, police said.
"The body was found hanging from the ceiling. We have sent it for post-mortem. Only after the reports come, we can say if she was sexually assaulted or murdered," Superintendent of Police Sukesh Jain told IANS.
Jain said there were no injury marks on the woman`s body.
"There have been contradictory claims by the woman`s family. While her brother-in-law has claimed she committed suicide, her husband said she was raped and murdered. We are looking into the matter," he said.
No arrest has been made yet.
With the woman`s husband being a local CPI-M leader, the party alleged the involvement of Trinamool Congress `goons` and claimed she was assaulted and paraded naked before being raped and hanged.
"Yesterday (Sunday), Trinamool goons entered her house and demanded Rs.12 lakh from her as a pre-condition for allowing her husband to return to the village from where he was forced to quit a year back. Later, they dragged her out of house, paraded her naked before raping and murdering her," Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Rabin Deb said.
Deb said a party delegation has left for Contai where they will hold a protest march demanding the arrest of the culprits.
Local Trinamool legislator Dibyendu Adhikari rubbished the claims.
"All the allegations are baseless. We have no connection with the crime," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read