Woman dies after gangrape in West Bengal
Barasat: Close on the heels of the gangrape of a woman at Park Street in Kolkata, a middle aged woman died after she was raped allegedly by a truck driver and
his helper in the city`s adjoining Baranagar area under North 24-Parganas district, police said on Saturday.
Ragpicker Munia Das, mother of two sons and a daughter, was dragged into a truck from near her slum by the duo at about 3 am on Friday.
She was found in an unconscious state near the Bally bridge by locals, who admitted her to the Uttarpara general hospital. She died last night, Barrackpore Police Commissioner Sanjay Mukherjee said.
In her dying statement to police, the victim had said that she had been raped by a truck driver and his helper after being lifted from near her slum.
The victim`s eldest son Ratan Das (18) had lodged an FIR with the police.
A special team was constituted to investigate the incident, Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed