Woman forced to have sex with tantrik for son kills self
Jalpaiguri (WB): Four persons were arrested here in connection with the suicide of a 39-year-old woman who was allegedly forced by her husband and in-laws to have sexual relations with a tantrik so that she could bear a male child, police said on Thursday.
The husband of deceased Swapna Roy, Sukumar, her in laws, Suren and Shobharani and sister-in-law Draupadi, were arrested and sent to 14-day judicial custody today, they said.
According to an FIR lodged by the victim`s mother, Swapna told her before dying that she was forced by her husband and in-laws to have sexual relations with the tantrik brought by Sukumar for three days as the family wanted a male child.
Swapna, who died at a government hospital on December 28, set herself on fire on December 17 after her ordeal with the tantrik ended for three days.
Sukumar, a driver by profession, and Swapna had two daughters aged 11 years and four years.
Swapna`s mother alleged in the FIR that her daughter was tortured by her in-laws for failing to give birth to a son.
The police said they could not record Swapna`s statement in hospital as her condition was not well.
When produced before the Alipurduar SDJM`s court today, the accused, all residents of interior Kamakhyaguri near the Assam-West Bengal border, were remanded in 14 days judicial custody today.
The police were searching for the tantrik, who was possibly from Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'