Woman forced to have sex with tantrik for son kills self
Jalpaiguri (WB): Four persons were arrested here in connection with the suicide of a 39-year-old woman who was allegedly forced by her husband and in-laws to have sexual relations with a tantrik so that she could bear a male child, police said on Thursday.
The husband of deceased Swapna Roy, Sukumar, her in laws, Suren and Shobharani and sister-in-law Draupadi, were arrested and sent to 14-day judicial custody today, they said.
According to an FIR lodged by the victim`s mother, Swapna told her before dying that she was forced by her husband and in-laws to have sexual relations with the tantrik brought by Sukumar for three days as the family wanted a male child.
Swapna, who died at a government hospital on December 28, set herself on fire on December 17 after her ordeal with the tantrik ended for three days.
Sukumar, a driver by profession, and Swapna had two daughters aged 11 years and four years.
Swapna`s mother alleged in the FIR that her daughter was tortured by her in-laws for failing to give birth to a son.
The police said they could not record Swapna`s statement in hospital as her condition was not well.
When produced before the Alipurduar SDJM`s court today, the accused, all residents of interior Kamakhyaguri near the Assam-West Bengal border, were remanded in 14 days judicial custody today.
The police were searching for the tantrik, who was possibly from Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September