Woman gang-raped, murdered in WB, minor girl in Guj assaulted
Barasat(WB)/Ahmedabad: A middle-aged woman was allegedly gang-raped and murdered in West Bengal while a minor girl in Gujarat was gang-raped which led her to attempt suicide, as a rash of rape cases were reported in the country today in which two village officials were among the arrested.
As the outrage over the death of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim in Delhi continued, there was a spurt in number of reported sexual assault cases in Punjab with many alleged victims coming forward with their complaints.
A man and his son were arrested for allegedly raping his teenaged daughter in Dombivili township of Thane district in Maharashtra while a 15-year-old dalit girl was allegedly raped and held captive for 15 days by three men in Dharauli village in Sultanpur in Uttar Pradesh.
The two village officials were arrested in connection with two rape incidents in Andhra Pradesh and Chattisgarh.
In the incident at Jagannathpur in West Bengal`s North 24-Parganas district, Police said the woman`s son, Alafaz Ali, had filed an FIR last night at Barasat police station stating that his mother was gang-raped and murdered and his father was poisoned and seriously injured.
Additional Superintendent of Police Bhaskar Mukherjee said the body of the 45-year old woman was found near a brick kiln last evening bearing sharp wounds on the head.
The incident occured when the woman went to look for her husband, a brick-kiln worker last evening. Six persons allegedly assaulted her, Mukherjee said.
Meanwhile, her husband returned home and went to look for his wife when he heard her cry for help and was in turn assaulted and forcibly made to consume some poisonous substance, he said.
The victim and her husband were rushed to Barasat State General hospital where the woman died.
Police arrested one person today and detained eight others for interrogation.
In Gujarat, a minor gang-rape victim allegedly attempted suicide by consuming poison at her residence today, police said. The 14-year-old girl`s condition is critical and she has been put on ventilator, they said.
Police said the minor was kidnapped in a car from Dholka town in Ahmedabad district and raped by two persons on December 6, following which her family members registered FIR on December 14.
"The girl had been complaining to her father of acute stomach pain for the past two days. Unable to bear it any longer, she mixed pesticide with water and drank it early morning today. She was immediately taken to a private hospital in the village before being brought to V S Hospital in city," Dholka police inspector B D Thakkar told reporters.
He said the girl has been put on ventilator and kept in the Trauma Centre. "Her condition is critical because she is physically very weak," Thakkar said.
A search is on to trace the accused duo who are on the run since the incident, the officer said.
A Village Revenue Officer (VRO) of Nandivada in Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh has been arrested for allegedly raping his colleague, police said.
B Pandu was arrested after a rape case was registered against him last evening, it said.
The victim had joined his office as his assistant around four months back, it added.
According to police, Pandu once offered her a spiked soft drink, following which she fell unconscious. He then took her objectionable pictures and black-mailed her to have physical relationship with him.
The woman lodged a complaint with the police yesterday and a case under sections 376 and 506 of the IPC have been registered against the accused and the investigation is on.
At least five persons were arrested for allegedly raping a tribal woman in Chhattisgarh`s Kanker district, police said.
"Five people have been booked under section 376(g) (gang rape) by Pakhanjur police station yesterday," Superintendent of Police Rahul Bhagat said.
The accused include a village sarpanch. According to the woman, she was raped by the accused at Alor village (over 250 km from Raipur) on December 23.
Two days later she went to the government hospital in Pakhanjur where the doctors informed the police that a woman, brutally assaulted, had been admitted.
However, the SP said, the medical report of the government hospital was silent on rape. Next day, the victim herself went to a private hospital, where she told the doctors about the rape.
In the Sultanpur incident, a 15-year-old dalit girl was allegedly raped and held captive for 15 days by three men in Dharauli village.
The girl went missing on December 14 while going to school, police said today, adding she was "freed" yesterday after which the matter came to the light and an FIR has been registered against three persons.
While Raju has been charged with rape, Basantlal and Sahabdeen have been booked for criminal conspiracy. They are absconding.
In Thane district, a man and his son were arrested for allegedly raping his teenaged daughter in Dombivili township, Police said.
According to the complaint filed by the 19-year-old victim, she was repeatedly raped by her father - Mahesh Prasad (50) for the last two years and for the last two months, her 20-year-old brother - Hardik - had also sexually abused her, Dombivili-Ramnagar police said.
The girl mentioned in her complaint that she had been living with her father and brother after her mother divorced and went on to live separately.
The victim could not muster courage to complain against her own father, but after being severely distressed with the activities, she left her home on Friday, police said.
She was spotted crying at the Dombivili railway station on Friday night by her friends, in whom she confided the trauma that she had been going through at her home.
The friends, with the help of some social organisations and NGOs, encouraged her to report the matter to police following which the victim lodged a complaint against her father and brother.
The accused were arrested by police yesterday and were produced in court which remanded them to police custody till January 3, 2013, they said.
In Punjab, as many as four rape cases, including one
against a police head constable, weere reported in Amritsar and Bathinda districts in the last two days.
A 20-year-old girl in Amritsar`s Ajnala town yesterday lodged a complaint against a Punjab police head constable, his wife and nephew, alleging that she was sexually assaulted in October on the pretext of giving her a job in the police department, police said.
Search is on to nab Kulwinder Singh, his wife Ranjit Kaur and nephew Gurcharan Singh, Amritsar (Rural) SSP Preetpal Singh Virk said, adding an officer of the rank of SP had been asked to lead the investigation.
Another rape case was reported in Bhindi Saida village in Amritsar district where police arrested one person for allegedly raping a girl.
The girl alleged that two persons on December 23 forcibly took her to a secluded place and repeatedly raped her, keeping her captive till December 27.
After returning home the girl narrated the incident to her family following which a case was registered and one of the accused, Manjit Singh, was arrested.
The second accused was yet to be arrested.
In Bathinda, a village head, Sukhdeep Singh, was arrested after a 25-year-old girl lodged complaint, alleging that he raped her for over five years, promising to marry her, police said.
One more case was registered in Bathinda against three persons for allegedly gangraping a married woman in the district`s Maisarkhana village.
Reporting the incident which had occurred on October 20, the woman alleged that she was gangraped by Lila Singh and two others. All the three are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly