Woman passenger molested by auto driver in Kolkata
Kolkata: An errant auto rickshaw driver was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly molesting and beating a woman passenger after the two had a scuffle over fare settlement.
Akhil Jana, an auto rickshaw driver of Taratala-Behala route, allegedly hit and molested a 24-year-old lady passenger after both had an altercation followed by a scuffle over fare rate, police said.
The passenger had handed over a Rs 50 currency note to the driver, but Jana asked for change. When the lady told him she wasn`t carrying the change, the driver punched and molested her, police said.
Following the incident, the girl filed a complaint at the Alipore police station. Police later on nabbed the driver from Sonarpore area in South 24 Parganas.
State transport minister Madan Mitra criticised the incident and said the state government was taking steps against errant auto rickshaw drivers.
"We condemn such incident and have already arrested the driver, and have slapped him with non-bailable sections," said Mitra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself