Woman passenger molested by auto driver in Kolkata
Kolkata: An errant auto rickshaw driver was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly molesting and beating a woman passenger after the two had a scuffle over fare settlement.
Akhil Jana, an auto rickshaw driver of Taratala-Behala route, allegedly hit and molested a 24-year-old lady passenger after both had an altercation followed by a scuffle over fare rate, police said.
The passenger had handed over a Rs 50 currency note to the driver, but Jana asked for change. When the lady told him she wasn`t carrying the change, the driver punched and molested her, police said.
Following the incident, the girl filed a complaint at the Alipore police station. Police later on nabbed the driver from Sonarpore area in South 24 Parganas.
State transport minister Madan Mitra criticised the incident and said the state government was taking steps against errant auto rickshaw drivers.
"We condemn such incident and have already arrested the driver, and have slapped him with non-bailable sections," said Mitra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload
- Amarinder Singh makes fresh offer to Navjot Singh Sidhu, says he has Congress in his DNA
- Rio 2016: After golden Olympic run, Justin Rose returns to regular job
- Manohar Parrikar asks Navy Chief to probe Scorpene-class submarines documents leak