Woman passenger molested by auto driver in Kolkata
Kolkata: An errant auto rickshaw driver was arrested on Wednesday for allegedly molesting and beating a woman passenger after the two had a scuffle over fare settlement.
Akhil Jana, an auto rickshaw driver of Taratala-Behala route, allegedly hit and molested a 24-year-old lady passenger after both had an altercation followed by a scuffle over fare rate, police said.
The passenger had handed over a Rs 50 currency note to the driver, but Jana asked for change. When the lady told him she wasn`t carrying the change, the driver punched and molested her, police said.
Following the incident, the girl filed a complaint at the Alipore police station. Police later on nabbed the driver from Sonarpore area in South 24 Parganas.
State transport minister Madan Mitra criticised the incident and said the state government was taking steps against errant auto rickshaw drivers.
"We condemn such incident and have already arrested the driver, and have slapped him with non-bailable sections," said Mitra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- The Aventador 'Miura Hommage' looks jaw-dropping!
- Overcast conditions in city
- Extremists in India, Pakistan think military action is only solution to Indo-Pak conflict: Sudheendra Kulkarni
- 7th Pay Commission: All you should know
- Terrorists barge into BJP leader's residence in J&K's Chadoora, snatch AK-47 rifle from his PSO