Woman raped, killed by father-in-law in Bengal
Bardhaman: A woman was allegedly raped and killed by her 62-year-old father-in-law in Bardhaman district, police said on Sunday.
Rakhi, 20, was found hanging yesterday in her Sordanga village home where she was living with her father-in-law Hara Govinda Banerjee as her husband stayed in Bangalore, they said.
The mother of the victim lodged an FIR with the police alleging her daughter Rakhi called up yesterday afternoon and told her that Banerjee had raped her, police said.
The mother said that later in the day she came to know through Rakhi`s neighbours that she was found hanging, they said.
Taking advantage of the absence of his son Sanjiv, Banerjee, a retired Kolkata Police personnel, raped Rakhi and then killed her when she informed her mother, police said.
Based on the complaint, Banerjee has been arrested and a probe is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note