Woman raped, killed by father-in-law in Bengal
Bardhaman: A woman was allegedly raped and killed by her 62-year-old father-in-law in Bardhaman district, police said on Sunday.
Rakhi, 20, was found hanging yesterday in her Sordanga village home where she was living with her father-in-law Hara Govinda Banerjee as her husband stayed in Bangalore, they said.
The mother of the victim lodged an FIR with the police alleging her daughter Rakhi called up yesterday afternoon and told her that Banerjee had raped her, police said.
The mother said that later in the day she came to know through Rakhi`s neighbours that she was found hanging, they said.
Taking advantage of the absence of his son Sanjiv, Banerjee, a retired Kolkata Police personnel, raped Rakhi and then killed her when she informed her mother, police said.
Based on the complaint, Banerjee has been arrested and a probe is on, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown