Woman to lose eye from acid attack
Burdwan: A pawnbroker allegedly attempted to murder a woman by using acid today as she had released her land from him in Kalna area of Burdwan district, the police said.
The adivasi woman, Sambali Mandi, had pawned her land with the pawnbroker, Abodh Mandal, and he had thought she would not be able to release the land and it would be his.
But Sambali managed to release the land some days ago and Mandal had developed a grudge against her, the police said.
Today when the woman was alone in her house, Mandal tried to douse her with acid but she managed to save herself.
However, her left was damaged and doctors at Kalna hospital, where she was admitted, said it was difficult to save the eye.
Mandal was absconding.
In another incident in the district, the police recovered the decomposed body of a 32-year-old woman, Bandana Biswas, from a bush beside the Ajay river in Ausgram.
The police alleged that her husband strangulated her with a rope on August 26 and dumped the body in that spot.
While two brothers and a sister-in-law of Bandana`s husband were arrested, the main accused was at large, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley