Woman to lose eye from acid attack
Burdwan: A pawnbroker allegedly attempted to murder a woman by using acid today as she had released her land from him in Kalna area of Burdwan district, the police said.
The adivasi woman, Sambali Mandi, had pawned her land with the pawnbroker, Abodh Mandal, and he had thought she would not be able to release the land and it would be his.
But Sambali managed to release the land some days ago and Mandal had developed a grudge against her, the police said.
Today when the woman was alone in her house, Mandal tried to douse her with acid but she managed to save herself.
However, her left was damaged and doctors at Kalna hospital, where she was admitted, said it was difficult to save the eye.
Mandal was absconding.
In another incident in the district, the police recovered the decomposed body of a 32-year-old woman, Bandana Biswas, from a bush beside the Ajay river in Ausgram.
The police alleged that her husband strangulated her with a rope on August 26 and dumped the body in that spot.
While two brothers and a sister-in-law of Bandana`s husband were arrested, the main accused was at large, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report