Woman`s body found, police rule out rape
Baharampur (WB): The body of a young woman was found in a field at Khorjuna village, 60 km from here in West Bengal`s Murshidabad district Monday but police have ruled out any speculation of rape and murder.
District Superintendent of Police Humayun Kabir, who had rushed to the spot after receiving information, said the 30-year-old local woman was strangulated by her lover but was not raped as was being alleged by her family.
Police have arrested the man Prakash Das from his home in the village, he said, adding the reason behind the killing was being investigated.
The woman`s body was found lying in the field near the public health sub-centre in the village early this morning by villagers, who informed her family and the police.
Her family later lodged a complaint with the police alleging that she was raped and murdered.
Following the finding of the body, opposition Congress blockaded the state highway between Boroa and Baharampore for six hours hitting movement of traffic.
Union Minister of State for Railways Adhir Chowdhury, who is also the Lok Sabha MP from Baharampur, has demanded that the culprits be arrested and punished.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan