Women dumped in open field after sterilisation in Bengal
Malda (WB): In a shocking case, most of the 100 women who underwent ligation procedure at a sterilisation camp at a rural health centre in Malda district were abandoned in an open field adjacent to the facility.
The Manikchak Rural Health Centre in Malda district, where the surgical procedure was carried out yesterday, was bereft of any minimal infrastructure required for the operation, attending nurses and health workers under NRHM alleged while narrating the incident to reporters.
The semi-conscious women, many of whom belong to a minority community, were dumped casually in the most unhygienic condition onto the field under the open sky as onlookers cast curious gaze, the nurses alleged.
Some women were sent home by van-rickshaws without keeping the patients under a mandatory observation period.
The sterilisation camp was organised by Block Medical Officer (Health) Dr Joydeep Mazumdar.
When contacted, Chief Medical Officer (Health), Malda, Dr B Mishra said abandoning women, who were operated upon, onto a open field was `inhuman`.
"No help was sought from us for organising the camp. I have already started an investigation into the incident," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists