Women dumped in open field after sterilisation in Bengal
Malda (WB): In a shocking case, most of the 100 women who underwent ligation procedure at a sterilisation camp at a rural health centre in Malda district were abandoned in an open field adjacent to the facility.
The Manikchak Rural Health Centre in Malda district, where the surgical procedure was carried out yesterday, was bereft of any minimal infrastructure required for the operation, attending nurses and health workers under NRHM alleged while narrating the incident to reporters.
The semi-conscious women, many of whom belong to a minority community, were dumped casually in the most unhygienic condition onto the field under the open sky as onlookers cast curious gaze, the nurses alleged.
Some women were sent home by van-rickshaws without keeping the patients under a mandatory observation period.
The sterilisation camp was organised by Block Medical Officer (Health) Dr Joydeep Mazumdar.
When contacted, Chief Medical Officer (Health), Malda, Dr B Mishra said abandoning women, who were operated upon, onto a open field was `inhuman`.
"No help was sought from us for organising the camp. I have already started an investigation into the incident," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing