Women`s commission disappointed in Visva Bharati VC case
Kolkata: The West Bengal Commission for Women on Monday expressed disappointment with the NCW for not responding to its complaint against Vice Chancellor of Visva Bharati university who is accused of sexually harassing a professor.
"I wrote not only to the National Commission for Women (NCW) but also to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who is the chancellor of the university and President Pranab Mukherjee who awarded the VC with Padmashree. None of them have responded to my appeal. I am totally disappointed," the state women`s commission chairperson Sunanda Mukherjee told PTI here.
Last week, she had written letters demanding that the President should withdraw Padmashree to the VC Sushanta Datta Gupta and the Prime Minister should remove him from the post of VC of the central university located in Tagore`s abode of Shantinektan.
The prime minister is the chancellor and the vice-chancellor is someone who is accused of sexually harassing a woman colleague. How is this possible? Isn`t it a matter of shame?" Mukherjee asked, adding that she was helpless if they do not respond to her appeals.
A complaint of sexual harassment came up against Datta Gupta in 2004 during his tenure at the Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences after which a committee was formed to enquire the matter.
And then in 2011 he was promoted as the VC of Visva Bharati. This shows where we stand in case of human rights violation of women. It is so easy to get away, Mukherjee said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security